Young man stood watching changes outside window: skyscrapers, smog, people, cars, noises – forever running engine. His hair white, his eyes brown-green, figure slim built, wearing jeans, holding glass of whiskey. In the background sound of shower turning down, then someone walking into the same room where white haired man stood.
– Are you sure Niko won’t eat them up badly? Because I am definitely sure she indulges in sweet temptations and shall pull that girl with her. Are you listening, Erick?
– Ehh… So? She does what she feels like. As long as it doesn’t make problems for me, I am not getting much into what she does. Thus she has her approach. – Erick breathed out as he was dressing up. – And why would she now concern you anyway, huh, David?
Erick gave evil eye to white haired man. David did not even give a single emotion, simply downed his whiskey.
– Cat, you’re not the only one having relationship with Niko. I, as her right hand person, and as your lover shall remind you that there is more than just the story of you two.
David went to his desk nearby to leave glass and check papers – mixed up manuscripts produced by Erick.
– Bloody rabbit, – mumbled Erick,- anything else, other than mocking me is about to be said by you or am I delirious?
David picked up few pages:
– Here story misses out something. Perhaps a bit of what is going on. You should add one more episode here, and more details. Part where: “Strands of life were pouring into him, as his dead body rejuvenated from sudden love and compassion. Life wasn’t as he dreamed it. Perhaps alike, but different. Eyes showed life now, but all surroundings and all events before became as is some twisted shallow metaphor. For first time in his life he knew he’s loved, yet lover has left him. He lost her. Yet he knew – he finally loved like never before.” This misses bit of continuation.
Erick just eyed him, then let out mad growl.
– You’re hell of an annoying accomplice.
– Yet as annoying as I am, you like me until ends of your wits. – David smirked at Ericks anger. – And lately you are far more agitated by something. Angry you aren’t having all for yourself.
– I think that is none of your business. – Hissed Erick, – Let’s get on with work now.
With the way how strangely mad was Erick, David just nodded at way to get on with work. On the desk were around seven piles of paper manuscripts – all yet to be edited up. So without further ado both men got on with work at hand.
Phone ringing. David took the call, went chatting into another room. Erick took a breath, deep breath, being quite exhausted he just thought about his surroundings. Got up, went to look outside the window. High buildings, middle of big city, with people swarming below, businessman, office caterpillars, simply people who enjoy their day out, girls happily jumping next to high end shops, men in suits sitting in café – having lunch. Well, it is indeed lunchtime right now.
Somehow it is amazing to observe people from aside. Most are short sighted, delusional, so much obsessed with their idea of being one with the right answer, being one who is always right, mocking others without realizing how they all are alike. Having all ideas in their heads stereotyped, ideals – stereotypical farce, being hollow, yet being so vicious to show how much stupid stuff they possess. And just as they are empty meat bags, some of rest people are with soul, with dignity and knowledge, being wise, understanding and perhaps, although maybe having dark past, they know how to really, full heartedly emphasise, be happy and value what they have. But sadly enough, there are not so many people who has heart and keep it clean. Such are rare, breed close to extinction, therefore are very valued people, bit naïve, but beautiful.
Devastating reality is that nice people are close to extinction, when right now world is full with cold blooded liars, two faced arseholes and so on.
Sound of boiling kettle came from kitchen. Everyday life is also right next to you all the time. Crazy to know that there are always mundane things in life, unless you are sort of person seeking lot of adventures for yourself, just to make life more complicated, as most of adventures are risk full, regretful at times. Life at its finest as always.
– Cat, two sugars as always? – David’s voice was sounding from the kitchen side.
I turned around to walk towards kitchen.
– Yes, White Hare, two sugars as always. – I said.
Fancy cups, fine silver teaspoons, porcelain plates – David also got this sense of posh fanciness from our common friend. We’ve mounted up this piece of lifestyle from our made-up stories with Niko. We have our life we share.
– We sure miss her for this tea party. Lunch with her was always interesting. Her observations are worthwhile listening. This makes me miss her. – David smiled, as he poured hot water in tea cups.
Erick smiled softly, as he recalled memories of moments together. “She does come across as muse. I suppose she is inspiration for both of us.” – Erick said, his voice softer than usually.
Both men took cups, went back to living room and sat on couch next to each other.
– Do you remember that story about living tree, which we created? – David asked as he looked over the contents of the table.
– Mmm… – Erick sipped some tea, – Not sure I do. How did it go?
– Story of the Tree, some sort of descendant of mighty Yggdrasil. Grew tree in mid of forest next to mighty mountain. Close to tree was village – small village which called tree their Mighty Mother. They prayed to it, believed that Tree protected them, and there was legend, that atop this Mother was chalice with water told to give you immortality. Villagers treasured and protected tree, looked after it. They had Mighty Mother protecting them from cold winds, from horror that existed behind the mountain. Because tree was almost as high as mountain and wide and great in look, travellers didn’t really notice the village. But as time passed by, village became town, it had a lot of travellers stopping in this town. Yet, as time passed, the custom of taking care of Mother Tree was kept. One day some travellers came by asking about Tree and why it had so much strange authority in town. As they were going from tavern to tavern they got to hear the legend of chalice. Their curiosity kicked in. They asked about this chalice and whether it is still there, why no one still took chalice and why are people not in slightest interested to acquire this chalice. The travellers were amazed that people never wished to get this chalice. With such information travellers went to nearby kingdom and sold information to king, then sold information to wealthy merchants. Words spread far and wide about chalice of immortality atop Mighty Tree. From then on Town next to Mother Tree was raided by different people, by merchants and bandits, by knights and kings man, making people flee to live on mountain nearby. Many tried to climb atop the tree, others shot them down, people thought each other over chalice, people tried to cut down tree, but failed, as bloodshed kept on going next to roots of Mother Tree, her trunk became red, leaves became orange, some blood-red. Bark started to have small red drops – tree cried.
But once, one day, some little boy managed to sneak past guards who surrendered tree and miraculously climbed to top of the tree. Covered in smudged red tree sap, he stood there amazed. There, in depth of leaves and tree branches, sat old lady, she guarded the chalice which was in middle of small fountain. Boy took few steps towards old lady. She turned to look at youngster.
– Are you here for the chalice? Are you here for it? – spoke lady in squeaky voice.
– Um, granny, I am not really here for it.
– Why are you here?
– I was told by mother that this chalice gives immortality. Is it true?
– Yes it is. You are one curious boy, as I see. – Said lady squinting her eyes.
– Granny, tell me, what is immortality? I don’t understand why everybody is trying to get it? – Boy sat next to lady.
– Immortality is to be able have living forever. In memories of others, in their hearts. People are interpreting immortality for letting their body live forever, maintaining youth. It is all a fake story, such never happens.
– Then why are they willing to get chalice? It won’t give them what they want. – Boy was confused.
– Chalice holds immortality of tree. It’s life. Without this water held in chalice Mother Tree shall die.
Boy sat confused. He did not know what to do. He climbed tree to see with his eyes if chalice was real, and it actually was. But immortality was not one most people down there were looking for. Why can’t someone tell them that it was not the life forever they searched for?
– Dear boy, you think that the truth will make these thieves and merchants leave, but you are wrong. They shall keep on trying to get this chalice, even if it’s not truth about immortality, they still will try to achieve it, just for sake of it. Their greed is driving them to insanity, making them conquer more, get more. They don’t care about anything or anyone but themselves. And all they want is to fulfil their greed, needs, wishes, even if it harms all and everything around them. Telling truth to them is useless. They won’t listen. They are deaf to sense and blinded by money, by treasures and power. Don’t worry much, boy, I’ll protect tree from whomever with dark heart tries to reach up here.
Boy listened carefully, then left.
Years later he became last of the people who protected Mother Tree. Everybody else left. Roots of Mother Tree took back to the earth bodies of silly dead man, oblivious to reason and fighting for non-existent forever life.
Old man left manuscript telling story about tree and his encounter with old lady atop the tree. He left truth before he passed away. By then, the stories about tree became just legend. New inhabitants of town did not pay attention to old customs, they didn’t care about tree. One day in library young girl found manuscript which told so much about the tree, about people and life of one man. It was enough to spark something inside her, making her start taking care of tree. New wave of new life, before history repeats its gruesome self.
Erick slept, from long exhaustion due to work and Davids voice with story lulled Cat off to dreamland.
“I should call her. Check how that rascal is doing.” – Thought David to himself as he dialled her number on the phone.
Lazy cat in wonderland dreaming of high garden,
Led by White Hare to the goal, towards gates of marble,
Just as Cat was walking through – he saw aside one flower,
“Lonely Orchid” – so he thought, as he left to follow.
There, ahead was mighty tree, branches spread all over,
Under sat his muse, his friend – once again to know her.
Due to time that flew so fast he forgot to tell more,
But important message was to say that he still loved her.